Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How to Measure for Wallpaper


I have no idea where I found this formula but I have had this worksheet in my design file for probably ten years.  It has always worked for me and I clearly use it a lot since it is covered in notes and diet coke rings.  If I have a client that is hiring someone to install the paper then I always have the installer do the final measure.  If you are going to hang the paper yourself or are curious how many rolls you need to figure out costs, then this is a great worksheet.

Formula To Estimate Wallpaper

#1 What Room do you want to wallpaper?

#2  Take a measuring tape and measure from one corner of the room all the way around to that corner again.  How many feet do you have?  Do not take out for doors or windows or cabinets the estimating formula will take care of that for you

#3  Take the measuring tape once again and measure your ceiling height.  If you have varying ceiling heights then measure the high point and low point of your room.  You will now split the difference of those two measurements and that will be your ceiling height.

#4  You will now mulitply the linear feet around your room times the ceiling height.  This will give you the square footage of the room.

#5  You will now take the square foot number and divide using the formula below that corressponds with the room you are estimating.

FORMULA
KITCHEN....35
POWDER WITH PEDESTAL SINK....25
BATHROOM....32
MASTER BATH....30
LAUNDRY ROOM....30
BEDROOMS....25
SINGLE WALLS....20
KITCHEN NOOKS, FAMILY ROOMS, ETC....25
CEILINGS....25

Example
Bathroom- 26 linear feet around x 8 feet high=  26x8 =208 sq. feet divide by bath formula - 208 divided by 32=6.5 = 7 s/rolls


Good Luck!  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're making me want to wallpaper something.

Anonymous said...

This is so helpful, thank you. I have two powder rooms to wallpaper.

Mary

Mary Ann Pickett said...

This is making my head hurt. I always have the wall paper hanger tell me how much to order. But that is not good when you want to estimate the costs in advance...so I will use your formula. Does the room divider account for cabinets and windows and doors? Is that how that works?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...